Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sticks and twin balls

When my mom was here for a couple days I went with here on her various visits to the different asian markets. We saw these Rice cake twin ball and Rice cake sticks.









My mom informed me that in the K-dramas (Korean dramas) the children are always eating this. Seems K-dramas are a popular things to watch. My parents and aunts trade and share their K-drama DVDs.
The cooking instructions/ recipe on the package were in both Korean and English.
Recipe on bag:
1. Wash pieces of rice cake in cold water and take them out of the water.
2. Mix up the rice cake and sauce(hot pepper paste, ketchup, sugar, and spices)
3. Boil the rice cake and sauce with booiled fish paste, carrot or cabbage to your taste until the rice cake is done.

Although the directions were simple I decided to not follow them. Honestly I rarely follow a recipe completely how it is written.

I washed the rice cake and started a pot of water to boil. When the water was at a boil I added the rice cake, ketchup, salt, black pepper, crushed red chili and pepper. After it boiled a little while I added a packet of dashi.
When they looked like the were close to being done I drained the pot of all liquid. Put in 2 cans of tomato sauce. As it cooked I added more chili pepper, salt and pepper. A bit of sugar. Powdered garlic.
I just cooked it till the sauce thickened and it was ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment